|Job Title:||Assistant Editor|
|Reports to:||Director of RBP|
Purpose: To provide editorial skills in the production of materials that will help people come to Christ and grow in Him.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Edit assigned non-curriculum and curriculum projects.
- Write content for assigned curriculum
- Make substantive edits for assigned projects. Ensure text is well written, logically structured, readable, and appropriate for the intended audience
- Copyedit assigned projects, being particularly aware of grammar, punctuation, style, and audience
- Ensure the accuracy and consistency in use of house style and the elements of each individual project (e.g., headings, captions, and footnote style)
- Proofread with a high degree of accuracy.
- Check facts (e.g. names, dates, statistics, questionable statements, details) and raise queries with the editor or author
- Check illustrations, photos, charts, and captions for editorial integrity
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Bachelor’s degree; English, Journalism or related field preferred
- Minimum of one-year experience writing and editing religious content; strong skills in English grammar
- Basic knowledge of the Bible and its historical and cultural context
- Agreement with the theological position of the GARBC and the RBP educational philosophy
- Working knowledge of The Chicago Manual of Style
- Proficient in Microsoft Office, InCopy, Photoshop, and WordPress
- Excellent time management skills, meticulous approach to work, eye for detail, ability to maintain high quality work while meeting tight deadlines
- Ability to work as a team member and self-motivated
- Private office
- Sitting long periods of time
- Possible eyestrain
This job description should not be construed to imply that these requirements are the exclusive standards of the position. Incumbents may be required to follow any other instructions, and perform any other related duties that may be required by their supervisor.